I am delighted to share with you the news that Ofsted has graded Downham Market Academy and Athena Sixth Form College as “Good” following their inspection on 26th & 27th April 2022.
This is the first time that Ofsted has rated this school as “Good” for well over 15 years: we are so proud of this result as it is a testament to all the hard work our staff and students put in every day.
The team of five inspectors conducted a thorough examination over the two days where they visited lessons, listened to students and staff, scrutinised student work, looked at policies and procedures and considered feedback from parents. The inspection report recognises the significant and sustained improvements that have been made at Downham Market Academy and Athena Sixth Form College over the last five years which you can read here. We are exceptionally pleased that the inspectors noted such a wide range of excellent practice.
A few highlights include:
- “Pupils praise how their teachers take care of them.”
- “Pupils enjoy learning… they demonstrate a deep understanding of complex ideas.”
- “Teachers provide pupils with support to help them improve further.”
- “(DMA) provide(s) an ambitious and broad curriculum.”
- “The curriculum promotes inclusivity, diversity, and equality.”
- “Leaders have also instilled a powerful ethos which nurtures and rewards important human values such as compassion, empathy, and resilience. Pupils are kind. They work hard and support others.”
We are incredibly proud of this report that highlights our recent success. We are committed to striving for further improvement, and to establishing a truly outstanding school experience that our students, staff and the local community can continue to be proud of.